in

Missing UP Student Ian Calalang comes home

After nearly a month, missing UP (University of the Philippines) student Ian Calalang has finally found his way home.

Help Find Ian, a Facebook community page put up to aid in the search of the missing UP student.

The Philippine Collegian, the official student publication of UP, reported that they confirmed via phone interview with Calalang’s mother that the 18-year-old Engineering freshman had come home at around 11 pm on the night of February 1.

Calalang’s parents had initially sought the help of various authorities and media outlets for help when Ian failed to return home last January 12, when he was supposed to enroll for the second semester at the Diliman campus. Calalang reportedly texted his parents at around 8:30 am that day that he had arrived at the campus. But succeeding attempts to reach his phone after that were only met with “cannot be reached” messages.

Now after 21 anxious days, the family can finally rest easy. Calalang’s parents would like to express their gratitude for all those who extended their help. Furthermore, they’d like to assure the public that Ian is safe. However, according to the Collegian, “the Calalang family has declined to disclose details of why Ian disappeared to protect the 18-year old’s privacy.”

Manila Bulletin and blogger Tonyo Cruz, however, had this to say, “Happy for the Calalang family that Ian Calalang has come home. But they oughta tell the story to the anxious public who they asked for help.”

Written by Bambi Eloriaga-Amago

Bambi is a freelance writer/editor who is a big fan of Marvel, Star Wars, and all things geeky. Aside from her geek obsessions, she's also an aspiring cat lady with three cats in her household. She's also a devoted mom and wife.

Scientists eliminate HIV virus from human cells for the first time

Dead mouse in Starbucks drink? Former barista says it’s impossible