A woman from Henan, China mistakenly gave her own mother, via intravenous drip, a bubbly concoction of soap and water.
The elderly woman had been confined at a clinic in Pingdingshan, Henan and was receiving treatment for tendovaginitis (inflammation of the tendon sheath, usually occurring in the hand, wrist, or forearms,) for which she was being given medication intravenously. But noticing that it was too hot at the clinic, her daughter Xiao-yue asked that her mother be discharged and that she would administer the remaining IV fluid herself at their house.
At home, after finishing the first IV bottle, Xiao-yue quickly switched to what she thought was a new one. Almost immediately, her mom started experiencing a shooting pain running up her arm. But hesitant to waste the supposed medicine, she bore the pain and consumed the entire 100ml bottle.
Thereupon her daughter noticed her mistake. It turned out that they’ve already used up all the medical fluid and her children had used the bottles to make soapy water, pouring water and washing detergent into the containers for blowing bubbles.
Her mother was taken to the E.R. of the First Affiliated Hospital of Henan University of Science and Technology and has been receiving treatment since then.