Former senators Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. are now facing online critics because of their past record. Recently, they slammed their online critics and continue to clean their names before the public.
The images of the aforementioned senatorial candidates have been tainted due to graft or plunder cases in the pork barrel scam. “Memes” proliferated on social media and labeled the two as thieves.
For the record, Estrada was accused of receiving P183 million in kickbacks form fake projects in connivance with Janet Lim Napoles. Since he was not the “main plunderer” the anti-graft court granted him to bail out. In September 2017, he was out on bail but is still facing trials.
As for Revilla, the actor was accused of stealing P224 million in the discretionary fund while he was still a senator. In December 2018, he was acquitted of plunder but the government prosecutors insisted that Revilla should pay 124.5 million to the government as civil liability along with Napoles and his former staff and an attorney, Richard Cambe, were both found guilty of plunder. Because of the bail, he has his temporary liberty but is still facing 16 counts of graft cases.
Amidst all the issues they still chose to run for the senatorial race in this year’s elections (2019) and slammed their online critics.
Estrada told the reporters on Hugpong ng Pagbabago’s miting de avance that he was affected by the criticism online, but he also said that those issues are already rehashed.
“I would be a hypocrite if I will tell you I’m not affected by the criticism against me on social media. I am human, too. I also get hurt.”
He added, “These issues are already rehashed.”
He was also asked if online basing had contributed his slide in the surveys and answered: “They won’t stop bashing me. Maybe there are some unscrupulous elements who wanted me out.”
Revilla on the other hand, also said that despite the anti-graft court filed at the Sandiganbayan, he is acquitted from his plunder case, but critics are still at it.
“They won’t stop. Until now they bash me on facebook and continue to hurl hurtful words against me,” he said.
A photo of a netizen, smiling together with senatorial candidate Bong Revilla, is making rounds on social media for its controversial caption by mocking the former senator regarding his plunder cases by way of keeping his wallet safe from him.
“Wag po kayong mag-alala. Wala naman pong nawala. Mahigpit po pagkakahawak ko sa wallet ko,” wrote netizen Carlos Mañosa Ng II on his Facebook account, alluding to Revilla’s alleged involvement with Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), or pork barrel, scam.
The actor-politician, along with former senators Juan Ponce Enrile and Jinggoy Estrada, were accused of receiving kickbacks from businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles, in exchange for directing some of their discretionary funds to phony non-government organizations.
OMG IS THIS A THING?! THIS NEEDS TO BE A THING! I’m calling on ALL people who happen to see Bong Revilla, please make this a thing. 😂 pic.twitter.com/5MOdvUcwA3
— Mo Twister (@djmotwister) April 14, 2019
During one of the hearings of his plunder case, Revilla denied receiving money from Napoles nor from her colleagues.
The former action star has been detained at the Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame since 2014, but was acquitted of plunder and released on December 7, 2018. Revilla still faces 16 counts of graft presently.
Netizens had dissenting opinions after seeing and reading Ng’s viral-post, which received 24 thousand reactions online.
On the one hand, social media users stood by Ng’s side, commending his mockery of the former senator while on the other hand, netizens pointed out how Ng had been disrespectful of Revilla and how his “joke” fell flat on them.
Napa check ako sa lock ng kotse!!! pic.twitter.com/UaVMhPQIIw
— cookai (@CookaiTV) April 15, 2019
“Pinoy nga naman ninakawan na pinagtatanggol pa. Sa cine (mo) ka nalang malupit Bong Revilla, mandarambong,” commented Wilfred Noel Manuel.
“Double check mo, malupit mag magic yan guilty na mapawalang sala pa sa tulong in Poong Nazeraan,” replied Jemar Cruz.
“Nagpa-picture ka para lang siraan si Bong, very wrong lodi haha,” reproached netizen Jules Almonicar.
“Plastik mo naman. Nakangiti kapa (diyan) ha, tapos magsasabi ka ng ganyan? wtf,” said Janine Espeleta.
So while I was sleeping kanina may nakamegaphone tas sabi "Mga kababayan parating na ang panday, parating na si Senator Bong Revilla". So tinipon ko energy ko, tsaka ako humiyaw, "MGA KAPITBAHAY MAY MAGNANAKAW! MAY MAGNANAKAW!" https://t.co/72647UQZPg
— Lance Angel 🎓 (@cruzlance10) April 14, 2019
Nakita ko si Bong Revilla sa balagtas hinagisan ako ng tshirt, sisigawan ko sana ng magnanakaw kaso baka may dalang baril gg ako HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
— dayan (@diannerazel) April 14, 2019
TAGS: bong revilla, Bong Revilla Jr., Carlos Mañosa Ng II, Janet Lim Napoles, Janine Espeleta, Jemar Cruz, Jinggoy Estrada, Juan Ponce Enrile, Jules Almonicar, man poses with Bong Revilla captions it with controversial allusion to pork barrel scam, Memes, PDAF case, Pork Barrel Scam, Ramon Revilla Jr., viral FB post, viral FB story, Wilfred Noel Manuel
Two months ago, the former Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla has been acquitted by the Sandiganbayan from plunder charges in relation to the “Pork Barrel Scam.”
But the two co-accused, Janet Lim-Napoles and lawyer Richard Cambe, according to the decision of the Sandiganbayan Special First Division were guilty.
“For Failure of the prosecution to established beyond reasonable doubt that the accused Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. receive, directly or indirectly, the rebates, commission, and kickbacks from his PDAF, the court cannot hold him liable for the crime of plunder. Accordingly he is acquitted,” the decision penned by Associate justice Geraldine Econg said.
Despite of his acquittal in the plunder case, the Office of the Ombudsman has insisted that the Sandiganbayan should require former Sen. Ramon “Bong Revilla to pay 124.5 million in civil damages to the national treasury. A 17-page motion to the anti-graft court’s First Division, state prosecutors said “that while Revilla was acquitted of plunder, it did not mean he had no civil liability since the crime was executed through his office.”
In response for this motion, his lawyer Estelito Mendoza released a statement to the media stressing that Revilla cannot be held liable as he was acquitted by the court after the failure of the prosecution to establish beyond reasonable doubt that he received commissions from his PDAF.
As led by lawyer Manuel T. Soriano Jr., he explained that “Courts can acquit an accused on reasonable doubt but still order payment of civil damages in the same case,” said the prosecutors.
“As then senator of the Philippines, Revilla should be held accountable to return the amount of money bled out from the coffers of the government by the scheme and scam maneuvered by a public officer under his direct supervision and control,” Revilla was negligent in his duties since he allowed the pork barrel scam “to flourish under his nose,” they added.
In its decision on the plunder case, the Sandiganbayan said the accused were “solidarily and jointly liable to return to the national treasury the amount of P124,500,000.”
It is the word “accused” without any distinction; the prosecutor means that Revilla was included in the order to pay the civil damages.
But still Revilla’s lawyer emphasized that Article 100 of the Revised Penal Code says that “every person criminally liable for a felony is also civilly liable.” Since he is already acquitted that means he should not pay any civil damages.
“Having held that Revilla is not criminally liable, the above paragraph would not have referred to Revilla but only to the accused who have been criminally liable, namely, Richard A. Cambe and Janet Lim Napoles,” Mendoza said.
After being aquitted from his plunder case and was said to be ordered to return Php124.5 Million to the national treasury, it was clarified that former Senator Bong Revilla was not among those who were ordered to return the money.
Atty. Ramon Esguerra, one of his attorneys, said that the order of the Sandiganbayan was only for those found guilty. And these individuals were identified as alleged mastermind Janet Lim Napoles, and Revilla’s former employee Richard Cambe.
“There is a misreading of the dispositive portion. Very clearly, in the last portion of the dispositive portion, there is mention of Article 100 of Revised Penal Code.
“Article 100 is one of the shortest provision of Revised Penal Code, simply saying that ‘every person found criminally liable for felony is also found civilly liable.’ But if Senator Revilla was not found criminally liable by reason of his acquittal, how can can he be held civilly liable?”
Aside from his plunder case, Revilla also has graft charges but with the resolution of his case, he was allowed to post bail and be released from detention. This is part of a larger pork barrel scam involving other former senators and congressmen, who were said to have taken a total of $189 million.
Action star-turned-politician-and-former senator, Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. was acquitted of plunder in connection with the pork barrel scam.
In a video taken by GMA News reporter Maki Pulido, the former senator admitted that he was not surprised by the result as he knew that he did not do anything wrong.
“Of course because I know that I’m not guilty. Noon ko pa sinasabi na wala akong kasalanan.”
The video also showed him being hugged by his children and greeted by his supporters. He got a bit emotional as he wiped away his tears. His wife, Bacoor Mayor Lani Mercado, who shared that it has been the longest four years of her life.
He stated that he plans to spend the next few days with his family, whom he hasn’t been with since he got arrested in 2014.
The Sandiganbayan ruled in majority that the he is not guilty of earning a multi-million worth of kickbacks using a non-government organization that is linked to Janet Lim Napoles, who was ruled “guilty” along with Revilla’s staff, Richard Cambe.
Revilla was detained at the Philippine National Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame since 2014. He is said to run for the Senate in the upcoming 2019 midterm elections.
TAGS: 2019 midterm elections, Bacoor, GMA News, Janet Lim Napoles, Leni Mercado, Maki Pulido, Philippine National Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame, Ramon 'Bong' Revilla Jr., Richard Cambe, Sandiganbayan
Sandiganbayan has acquitted former senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. of plunder.
The court, however, convicted his right-hand-man Richard Cambe and his alleged co-conspirator Janet Lim Napoles. It was said that the prosecution failed to prove that Revilla is guilty of working with Cambe and Napoles to pocket more than $4 million worth of his pork barrel funds.
But the former Senator won’t be excluded from the case right away as he was ordered to return the amount $2.3 million, or P124.5 million, to the national treasury.
Revilla also has graft charges but with the resolution of his case, he was allowed to post bail and be released from detention. This is part of a larger pork barrel scam involving other former senators and congressmen, who were said to have taken a total of $189 million.
The actor-turned-politician, along with former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and senator Jinggoy Estrada, were charged and arrested for plunder four years ago.
They are said to be running for the Senate in 2019’s midterm elections.