Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte was criticized for breaking quarantine rules when she visited centenarians in the city.
The Quezon City government’s Facebook page, however, praised Belmonte’s initiative as she gave the seniors “100,000 pesos cash incentive, certificate, fruit basket, at face masks.”
The beneficiaries were glad that she visited them.
But violations were obviously committed. As part of the ‘new normal’, people are required to always observe social distancing to prevent spreading the coronavirus.
Binisita ni Mayor Joy Belmonte ang ilan sa mga centenarian sa lungsod at ipinaabot sa kanila ang 100,000 pesos cash incentive, certificate, fruit basket, at face masks. ☺️#QCLabanCOVID19#LabanParaSaQC
The Philippines is expected to breach the 240,000 mark of confirmed COVID-19 cases anytime now.
Older people are known to be more susceptible to COVID-19, and their fatality rate is higher compared to people of younger ages.
Dr. Kate Tulenko, CEO of Corvus Health, a global health workforce services firm explained previously that older people have a weaker immune system which makes them more vulnerable to the disease. In addition, older people usually have preexisting conditions such as diabetes, heart problems, and others which weakens their ability to fight off diseases like the coronavirus.
Netizens went after Belmonte.
Joint Task Force COVID-Shield chief Lieutenant General Guillermo Eleazar earlier announced that the PNP will be monitoring social media posts to catch people violating quarantine protocols.
In her visit, Belmonte clearly violated protocols, as pointed out by a netizen.
Why is QC's Mayor Belmonte visiting senior citizens, one of the MOST VULNERABLE in COVID-19? We are told to practice social distancing, postpone physical visits if avoidable. Sino ang pasaway ngayon? @QCHealthDept
PNP checking social media for quarantine violations, here's one. pic.twitter.com/DdPweeAp5b
— JR Ong #DefendPressFreedom (@jrong13) September 6, 2020
This was just another photo op, a common practice with politicians.
Philippine officials, puro photo ops. Ganyan din si Trump sa US, corrupt, puro photo ops. Sayang oras ng trabaho.
— MambaForever⛹🏿♂️ (@Kelvinator89) September 6, 2020
There have also been reports of people catching COVID-19 for the second time. Belmonte tested positive last July but recovered after over a week.
Meanwhile, University of the Philippines professor and OCTA Research Team fellow Dr. Guido David claimed that the country has finally ‘flattened the curve.’
“Tinitingnan natin yung reproduction number in the NCR (National Capital Region) and different locations. So now, less than one yung reproduction number. Yung average natin sa Philippines, flattened na [yung curve]. Sa NCR, sa CALABARZON (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas Rizal, and Quezon), flattened na siya, yung reproductive rate 0.95 so pababa na siya” he told DZBB.
“Hindi ibig sabihin flattened yung curve, wala nang COVID cases, mayroon pa. Ang nangyayari pag flattened yung curve, nagde-decrease yung cases natin,” he added.
He also said that the response to the pandemic should stay consistent and that there is no reason to relax because cases can surge anytime.
“We have to sustain this trend. Ibig sabihin, kailangan gawin pa rin natin yung ginagawa natin the past few weeks, same thing for the next month, for the next two months kasi pwede pa rin tumaas yung bilang ng kaso anytime na magpabaya tayo,” he said.
“Ibig sabihin, kahit marami ang i-test natin, konti na lang nagpo-positive. Magandang indication yan. Sinu-support nyan yung flattening of the curve. Pati rin yung hospital utilization, bumababa na rin although nasa critical level pa rin, pero at least kung kumokonti na yung cases, mas hindi na mao-overburden yung health facility natin.
“Habang nandito na tayo at pababa na yung trend, i-continue na natin. May light at the end of the tunnel na tayo. Kung mga two to three months mapababa na natin ito a very manageable level, pwedeng fully opened na tayo sa pasko,” he added.