The guards of MRT North EDSA station is under fire after a netizen has expressed her disappointment when her son, who is a Person With Disability (PWD) was not allowed to enter the station and ride the train.
Not only that, he was also accused of sporting a fake PWD I.D. by both guards on duty.
My son, a PWD with learning disability was denied entry and accused of using fake PWD ID. The incident took place at MRT3 North Edsa-Trinoma station last October 26, 2018, Friday at around 1:00pm, south bound to Taft station. The guards on-duty, one female and one male even tried to confiscate the PWD ID. My son behaved differently since then, which I suppose was due to the embarrassing situation he went through.
Shirley Iyulores said that her son takes the train to attend training sessions at the College of St. Benilde since a few months ago and was even issued a PWD Beep card. The guards at the MRT did not acknowledge both the said card and his I.D.
My son takes either LRT or MRT to attend training sessions for PWD at the College of St. Benilde since June this year. In fact he was issued a PWD beep card. He even showed it to your security staff but they ignored it. To accuse my son of faking an ID and the staff’s failure to recognize his special MRT beep card is preposterous and downright insensitive.
The netizen ended her status by questioning how the institution trains their security when it comes to dealing with PWD.
How did you train your security personnel in dealing with PWDs? It seems to be limited in physical disabilities only. Aren’t they aware of cases like ADHD, autism and the like?
My son went thru a very humiliating experience only because of the ignorance of your staff.
DOTr MRT-3 Autism Society Philippines
Netizens expressed their disappointment in the comments section. A certain Sophia Allyana Torres shared her experience that the guards even questioned her when she said she was pregnant.
Department of Transportation (DOTr) has released a statement regarding the incident. According to the statement of the Kaizen Security Agency, the PWD presented the guards a photocopy of the I.D, claiming that he left the original one at home, resulting to the guards reminding him to bring the original one next time, however, the PWD decided to leave.
They then reminded everyone that it is common for people to have fake IDs.
“While we do not intend to embarrass the bearers of valid PWD IDs, we note that cases of fake IDs being presented by some passengers in MRT-3 are not uncommon, which is why our security personnel are keen on scrutinizing the authenticity of an ID presented by a passenger as issued by LGUs, OSCA, and other authorized agencies.
To avoid and deter passengers from taking advantage of the privilege afforded to legitimate senior citizens, PWD(s), pregnant women, and passengers with children, our security personnel would routinely ask for an additional government-issued ID to validate the senior citizen or PWD ID presented.”
DOTr MRT-3 Press Statement5 November 2018This pertains to an incident involving two Kaizen security personnel on duty…
Iyulores said that she is currently waiting for the investigation report regarding her complaint.
“Malapit na po makahabol ang katarungan sa inyong lahat.”
Malacañang issued this reminder on Thursday, March 8, against former officials of the previous government who allegedly plundered funds intended for the rehabilitation of the Metro Rail Transit-3 (MRT-3).
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. announced in a Palace press briefing that new cases will be filed against ex-Cabinet members of the Aquino administration over the poor state of the Metro Manila train line.
“It’s now in the process of investigation. And this is what I promise to do. I have some documentary evidence already. Perhaps, beginning next week, I will devote one day a week in disclosing facts and details about the plunder of MRT-3,” Roque vowed.
In an earlier interview, Roque revealed the existence of a certain “Pangasinan Group” allegedly involved in the division of funds intended for MRT-3’s maintenance. He said only one-third of the funds went to the actual project, whereas two-thirds went to the group and to a political machinery.
The Palace official confirmed that his office already received the first batch of official documents on Thursday, March 8, citing at least two whistleblowers previously involved in the MRT-3 operations as sources of such evidence.
Roque said the evidence would be submitted to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) to “see what they will do with the documents.”
“I promise that this will be a continuing activity that we will have here, which is dissecting the plunder of MRT-3,” the Spokesperson said, assuring the public that he would disclose further details regarding the case in due course.
“After I’ve submitted the documents, we could release even some of these official documents in the following weeks,” Roque added.
Malacañang also welcomed the possibility of a parallel investigation to be conducted by the NBI and the Office of the Ombudsman in connection with the plunder complaint against former Aquino officials.
“That’s without prejudice. And we are hoping that the Ombudsman is conducting its own parallel investigation because an official complaint has already been filed,” Roque said as he called for an impartial probe on the case.
“[N]aniniwala naman ako na kung may ebidensya na dapat lalo pang paigtingin ng Ombudsman ang imbestigasyon ay gagawin niya. Dahil napakadami naman po talagang nagdusa dito sa MRT,” he added.
PH tops Women in Business 2018 Survey
Meanwhile, in line with the celebration of International Women’s Day, Malacañang welcomed news that the country topped the Women in Business 2018 Survey for having the most number of women executives.
The survey was conducted by Grant Thornton International, one of the world’s largest professional services network of independent accounting and consulting member firms.
The report, which surveyed 4,500 senior executives across 35 countries, revealed that 46.58 percent of Filipino women in the workplace hold senior management roles. Such proportion is way above the global average of 24.14 percent, Roque cited.
According to the Palace spokesperson, the report attributed the country’s top ranking to non-discriminatory policies for recruitment, paid parental leave, and flexible hours, among other practices.
For his part, Roque vowed that the Duterte administration will continue to improve the lives of Filipino women in all spheres – economic, social and political – through the full implementation of the Magna Carta of Women (MCW).
Malacañang on Tuesday, March 6, laid down the administration’s plan of action to improve the services of the Metro Rail Transit 3 (MRT-3).
“There were… ways forward identified for MRT-3,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said during a Palace press briefing, where he announced highlights of the President’s meeting with his Cabinet members on Monday, March 5.
Secretary Roque said administration officials identified a three-tier solution to fix the train line’s operations, which have been plagued by frequent breakdowns and numerous glitches.
The Spokesperson said a short-term solution discussed during the Cabinet meeting was the procurement of all necessary spare parts for MRT-3, whereas the medium-term solution was to enter into a maintenance contract with the original contractor, Sumitomo Corporation.
“They have concluded already the survey of what needs to be done. And from what I understand, Sumitomo found out that it was worse than they expected,” Roque said, adding that the Japanese firm already came up with a fixed timetable to rehabilitate MRT-3.
Roque confirmed that there is now an existing government-to-government agreement between the Philippines and Japan, which enables the country to rehire Sumitomo’s services for the maintenance of the train line.
Meanwhile, the Palace official stressed that the government’s long-term solution would be to change the ownership of the MRT-3 Corporation, which he said “appears to have contributed to the problem.”
“As you know, the ownership of MRT-3 is a private corporation. So, they are thinking of changing the owners because we have had many problems with the current owners,” he said.
Roque also disclosed that the President is eyeing to file new plunder charges against officials of the previous administration over the MRT mess, particularly for awarding the maintenance contract to a company that has “absolutely no track record.”
The Spokesperson said that the company to which the contract was previously awarded failed to deliver on its obligation to repair MRT-3’s 26 coaches. “They only delivered two; and they even supplied the wrong signaling system,” he pointed out.
“There was a decision that cases will be pursued for those behind the miserable performance of MRT-3,” Roque said. The President instructed Solicitor General Jose Calida to study the matter, he further announced.
“But in any case, that’s just part of the solution. Accountability is part of the solution,” Roque added, as he assured the public that the current government has now taken steps to improve the train line’s operations.
Also discussed during the Cabinet meeting included the President’s directive that only Philippine nationals could conduct explorations in the Philippine Rise, the Philippine National Identification Card (ID), the country’s rice supply situation, and Boracay Island’s planned rehabilitation.
Palace welcomes news on PH being best country to invest in
During the same press briefing, Malacañang welcomed the recent U.S. News and World Report identifying and ranking the Philippines as the best country to invest in for 2018.
Citing the Department of Finance, Secretary Roque said the recent development can be attributed to the country’s “young and hardworking” workforce, an “excellent” inclusive growth momentum, an expanding middle class, fiscal discipline, stable monetary policy, an achievable infrastructure program, improved revenue collection, and a strong anti-corruption drive.
He also said the country’s membership in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), coupled with a politically stable environment under a strong and popular leadership, contributed to investors’ confidence.
“We assure our investors here and abroad, that the government will continue to implement sound economic policies to improve the country’s ease of doing business performance and further sustain the growth momentum of the Philippine economy,” Roque underscored.
The MRT (Metro Rail Transit) in Metro Manila is a rapid transit system which serves about over 600,000 commuters on a daily basis. Most people ride the MRT since it’s the quickest means of transport along the usually heavily congested EDSA.
Recently, an MRT commuter named Paola Kristal Shane Gardon posted a photo of a male commuter with a caption stating that chivalry is dead, referring to the fact that the man did not give up his seat for her. But what people reacted to in her post was that she insulted the man by calling him “unattractive” for being unchivalrous.
Paola said in her post, “One of the reasons why ladies keep on saying Chivalry is DEAD. Unattractive na nga di pa gentleman. Sorry but i’m just being honest. At hindi ako GRABE. I don’t mean to offend anyone of you boys I have friends na gentleman. This is just my opinion, respect it. Mind your own business. Idgaf. #Muntik na lumabo #Home.”
Paola’s post immediately went viral, and she has now over 40,000 searches on Facebook. Several netizens also posted their reactions to Paola’s post.
One of the most popular posts that sparked a debate online was from a netizen named Erin Cervantes which gained over 400 shares.
Erin said in his post, “Wag lang magpapakita tong Paola Kristal Shane Gardon na to sakin a. Hindi na nga attractive, ang taba pa ng utak. May puwesto naman na puro babae lang e bat nakikipagsiksikan ka sa para sa lahat? Aba hindi lang ikaw ang pagod na kelangan umupo.”
Erin said in his post that he hopes that he would not meet Paola in person since she is not only unattractive but most likely, as he implied sarcastically, not too smart. He said that Paola should’ve chosen to ride in the car dedicated for women instead of the usually crowded communal section, especially since she is not the only one who can get tired.
Meanwhile, a Paola Facebook fan page emerged, apologizing to the public and pleading for everyone not to bash her. She also said that she has apologized to the man in the photo named Jonathan and that he has already accepted her apology.
Paola said in her post, “Ako po si Paola Kristal Shane Gardon, humihingi nang paumanhin sa lalake na nasa MRT na si Mr.Jonathan, opo alam ko na mali ako dahil pinost ko at pinicturan ko mukha niya. Please? Im doing this to defend myself. Alam kong pagod din siya nung mga oras na yun, opo inaamin ko may mali ako.. Dahil masyado akong naging assuming, pathetic at isa sa lahat nagpost ako at i took his photo without his permission and without anyone knowing, and ang worst eh yung ipinost ko pa sa internet… Hindi ko inaasahan na mapupunta to sa ganito, i am not expecting this. Sorry Mr.Jonathan if i offended you, pero alam kong okay na tayo dahil nagkausap na tayo. And please, alam ko po na hindi ako maganda. At alam ko na galit kayo sakin, pero alam ko na mayroong mga taong kagaya ko na makakaintindi sa katulad ko. Inaamin ko na po na mali ako wag lang po paulit ulit dahil po masakit sana dumating sa point na mapatawad niyo rin po ako. Maraming salamat po sa mga makakaunawa at kahit sa hindi. Salamat po
(I am Paola Kristal Shane Gardon, asking for forgiveness from the man in the MRT named Mr. Jonathan, yes, I know, I am at fault for posting and taking his picture. Please? I’m doing this to defend myself. I know he was also tired at that time, and I admit that I made a mistake. Because I was assuming, pathetic and I took his photo without his permission and without anyone knowing, and the worst is that I posted it online. I didn’t expect that it will all come to this. Sorry Mr. Jonathan if I offended you, but I know we are already okay with it since we have already talked to each other. And please, I know I am not pretty. I know you are all angry at me, but I also know there will be some people who will understand people like me. I admit my faults, please don’t keep reminding it to me because it hurts. I hope it will come to a point that you could all forgive me. Thank you to everyone who will understand and even to those who don’t. Thank you.)
As of this writing, Paola’s Facebook account has been set to private.
Many anti-fare hike calls were assailed in previous months and it seems that the government is waiting for the appropriate time to increase the fare.
As the new year is fast approaching, new Light Rail Transit-Metro Rail Transit fare hike will be imposed on January 4, 2015. Are passengers ready?
The Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) announced Saturday that the new base fare would be P11 and an additional P1 per kilometer. Fare matrices are as follows:
“It’s a tough decision, but it had to be made. It’s been several years since an increase was proposed. We delayed its implementation one last time until after the Christmas season. While 2015 will see increased fares, it will also see marked improvements in our LRT and MRT services,” said DOTC Secretary Jun Abaya.
Mixed opinions were noted by some netizens. Katrina would like that the increase of fare hike would signal the improvement of train’s service and facilities.
Another netizen would like MRT/LRT to operate 24 hours to cater passengers working in night shift.
Recently, LRT/MRT defective and breakdown operations were reported, including train derailed and poor maintainance.
After becoming a market vendor, a pedicab driver, a “kargador” and a traffic enforcer, Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Mar Roxas, once again, became one of the masses, by being a “regular MRT commuter”.
Last Friday, November 28, Roxas rode the MRT “discreetly” from Quezon Avenue to Buendia station. The reason behind it? Simply to avoid traffic jam.
As we can remember, last August, two prominent government officials took the “MRT Challenge”, Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya and Senator Grace Poe. While Secretary Abaya received a lot of negative criticisms bringing other officials and some media on the train ride during off-peak hours, Senator Poe, on the other hand received praises for taking the commute on a rush hour, wearing plain clothes, not bringing any member of the media with her.
I guess we now know who Secretary Roxas tried to emulate. But, was he also able to receive praises like Senator Poe did?
In a news from Rachfeed, the facebook page “Oras na, Roxas na” featured a photo of Roxas on the said MRT, which was taken by a regular “commuter”. Its caption stated that Roxas was different from other politicians, that he was a down-to-earth, low-profile politician which makes him qualified to become the next president. However, netizens became suspicious of the alleged “candid photo” of Roxas. As of writing, the photo has over 2,000 comments, mostly criticizing Roxas: some insisted that it was scripted, and that it was one of Roxas’ staff who took the picture, others saying that riding commute on the MRT is not reason enough to make him a qualified president, and a few even cussed him, saying that it was all part of a political gimmick.
Well, it doesn’t actually matter if its scripted or not, whatever Roxas’ agenda is for riding the MRT, and why they had to post that “candid shot” on their Facebook page, it seems that Roxas may need a better publicity, or atleast something new to get back his reputation. For most netizens, it was another publicity gone wrong, but maybe, for the masses, it could click just like when he became a pedicab driver or “kargador” before he became a Senator.
Is Roxas photo on the MRT scripted or candid? You be the judge! Click the link here from the Oras na, Roxas na facebook page.