The Malacañang Palace stated that President Rodrigo Duterte believes that it’s not necessary for him to take the COVID-19 vaccine in public.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that the president agreed to take the vaccine as soon as it’s available but doesn’t think it needs to be shown to Filipinos to gain their trust in the brand.
“His answer was, ‘No problem, I will take the vaccine as soon as it is available’ dahil siya nga daw po ay kailangan niyang magkaroon ng bakuna,” Roque said in an online briefing.
“Pero ang sabi niya, hindi na kinakailangan ipakita ito sa publiko.”
Roque mentioned Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip as an example of those who took the COVID-19 vaccines in private. He also denied the rumors that President Duterte already got vaccinated against COVID-19 with some members of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) in September last year.
“Haka-haka lang po iyan,” said Roque.
Vice President Leni Robredo then encouraged the President to publicize his vaccination as it may boost the public’s trust.
“Sobrang popular ni Pangulo, so makakatulong sana to boost ‘yung confidence ng ating mga kababayan kung makita siya magpabakuna,” Robredo said over the weekend.
On the other hand, Indonesian President Joko Widodo held a live broadcast of his vaccination on the presidential secretariat’s YouTube account.
He took his first dose of Sinovac vaccine on January 13 and shared his experience, saying that the doctor will first ask you if you’ve been experiencing symptoms of the coronavirus before injecting you.
Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong also rolled up his sleeve for the COVID-19 vaccine last January 8.
“It is painless, it is effective and it is important,” he said after getting his first dose of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
Malacañang said that they will let the public know once President Duterte has gotten his coronavirus shot.