in ,

ICC releases report vs Pres. Rodrigo Duterte; may issue warrant of arrest by end of 2020

The International Criminal Court released a report stating that there is enough evidence that shows the human injustice that happened during the Duterte administration.

  • It also stated that the court may issue the warrant of arrest by the end of 2020.
  • Netizens reacted to the report released by ICC. 

A preliminary report about President Rodrigo Duterte was released by the International Criminal Court (ICC) on Tuesday.

It stated that there was enough evidence to show that the Philippines has experienced crimes against humanity under the administration of the president, starting off with the war on drugs that left thousands of people dead since it started in 2016.

According to reports from the Philippine National Police (PNP), around 8,000 people were killed after being accused of their involvement with illegal drug trades. But human rights groups have stated that the numbers are higher than what was reported by the police and added that the act has continued even as the country remains under community quarantine since March because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fatou Bensouda, the chief prosecutor of ICC said that there was “a reasonable basis to believe that the crimes against humanity of murder, torture, and the infliction of serious physical injury and mental harm” had happened. In the coming months, the court will decide if it will open a full-on investigation about the alleged crime.

Last year, the country withdrew from the ICC after multiple complaints were filed against Duterte.

Netizens reacted to the news by saying that it may be bad news not to the Filipinos, but to the supporters of the current administration.

https://twitter.com/jaeceelim/status/1338773704625385474?s=21

“The end is near,” PinoyAkoBlog wrote.

Another netizen even called it “the day of reckoning.”

Others have seen the news as hopeful as they have been asking for justice for those who were slain by the government’s war on drugs.

“Maybe 2020 can be saved after all,” a netizen wrote

https://twitter.com/joooiezz/status/1338869867064164354

Another predicted that the president will use a sort of excuse that other government officials have used before to run from their cases.

A netizen said that Duterte may get away from the lawsuit because, by that time, he will be “too old and about to die.”

Someone also predicted what the DDS would say.

https://twitter.com/Ka__Bisay/status/1338831608653213696


According to PNP, the deaths of the suspects were said to be a result of their resistance during arrest.

Written by J M

Would-be thief goes viral, unexpectedly threatens to file cyber libel case against store owner

Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano accuses ABS-CBN of election interference, offers advice for entertainment industry