in , ,

Laban o bawi? Malacañang says sidecars still prohibited after previously saying these vehicles will be allowed on highways and national roads

Along with sidecars, tricycles and other similar vehicles will not be allowed.

Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque made it clear Thursday evening that the driving of motorcycles with sidecars on highways is still prohibited after Malacañang earlier said these vehicles will start plying the roads.

“Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año clarifies that although apprehension from the Highway Patrol Group (HPG) is temporarily suspended, such are still prohibited from traversing the national highways,” Roque said, citing Año’s previous remarks.

Along with sidecars, tricycles and other similar vehicles will not be allowed.

“Although apprehension from the Highway Patrol Group (HPG) is temporarily suspended, such (tricycles) are still prohibited from traversing the national highways,” Roque said.

It was on the morning of the same day that Roque announced that the government came up with a new policy that would allow said vehicles on national roads and highways for more transportation options.

“Nagkaroon na po ng bagong polisiya: Pinapayagan na po ngayon ang mga sidecars sa national highways.

“‘Yan po ay para maibsan ‘yung kakulangan ng transportasyon ngayong nag-GCQ na at MGCQ na sa maraming areas” Roque said.

Año also previously said that motorcycle drivers attaching sidecars to compensate for the prohibition of back riding is not allowed.

Metro Manila was allowed to have various vehicles running on its roads after it transitioned to a GCQ.

However, people still found it hard to commute via trains and buses due to social distancing rules.

Netizens reacted to this latest development.

https://twitter.com/_Kurtpatrick/status/1268528643333996545

https://twitter.com/_kaTz0ne/status/1268536956864147456


Written by JO-EST B. TAN

0917 159 6675

LOOK: More than 100 OFW spend the night at NAIA

DOH now confirms that asymptomatics can transmit the virus