- The media giant’s franchise is set to expire on May 4, however, NTC stated that all ongoing permits that will expire during the ECQ will be automatically renewed.
- Cayetano also assured that public that there is no such movement to shut down ABS-CBN.
On April 29, House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano shared updates regarding the matter of the ABS-CBN franchise amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The current franchise of one of the country’s media giants expires on May 4. ABS-CBN Corporation operates free TV Channel 2 and radio DZMM.
However, in a March 16 memo, the National Telecommunications Commission said that all ongoing permits to operate and maintain broadcast and pay-TV facilities that will expire during the enhanced community quarantine will be automatically renewed.
This will be valid for 60 days from the end of the quarantine period after which the stations will be given two months to file a renewal of their permit or license. All these without penalties.
The NTC had earlier committed to allowing ABS-CBN Corp. to operate after its franchise expires on May 4, as requested by lawmakers, who have yet to tackle several bills seeking a fresh 25-year-franchise for the company.
Cayetano said that the lawmakers will further discuss the subject matter. He is set to meet with senators to talk about the broadcast company’s franchise without compromising the lawmakers’ plan for an inquiry.
“We don’t want to close down ABS-CBN whether it’s because of the franchise or it’s because of business,” he stated.
He also clarified that there is no move to shut down the station.
“Gusto namin ipaabot sa lahat ng viewers ng ABS-CBN, DZMM, sa lahat po ng mga empleyado, sa mga stars, directors, wala pong move na isara ang ABS-CBN.”
The ECQ in Metro Manila has been extended until May 15.