in ,

VIDEO: Shocking moment Apple iPhone 7 Plus explodes

Will the Apple iPhone 7 Plus suffer the same fate as the exploding Samsung phones?

Following Samsung Galaxy Note 7’s exploding scandal that led to a global recall of millions of handsets, rival company Apple is now making headlines after an iPhone 7 Plus unit suddenly caught fire.

Apple is currently investigating the claims of an 18-year-old college student from Tuscon, Arizona,  who alleged that  the incident happened while her rose gold iPhone 7 Plus was charging next to her head as she slept.

Speaking to Mashable,Brianna Olivas recounted the unfortunate event.

“I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser. He went the [sic] rest room … and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise.”

“By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the rest room … as soon as he threw it in the rest room is [sic] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone,” Olivas narrated.

The unit, which was bought from Sprint on January 4, apparently suffered issues days prior to the incident. According to Olivas, her phone wouldn’t turn on despite having 56% battery left.

After noticing the issue, Olivas brought the phone to a Sprint store the next day. However, she was told that there was nothing wrong since the staff was able to get the device to turn on after running some diagnostics.

Olivas noted that the screen was an unusual yellow color.

Her suspicions that something was wrong with her phone was confirmed after witnessing the phone self-combust. Olivas stressed that the unit was never dropped and had no water damage or cracks. She also used the charger included with the unit.

A video of the incident has gone viral after Olivas shared it on Twitter.

Watch the video:

Written by mmalabanan

Mini is a work-at-home mom from Laguna. Aside from writing, she's passionate about breastfeeding and homeschooling.

This Bae-Yani Went Viral And Now Got Featured on Kapuso Mo Jessica Soho

Chewing gum is bad for your health, experts reveal