- She stated that his resignation will depend on the “limits of his delicadeza.”
- Several known personalities and medical groups urge him to leave his post after failing to manage the COVID-19 outbreak in the country.
Former Health Secretary Esperanza Cabral said that Francisco Duque III’s decision regarding calls for resignation would ultimately depend on the “limits” of his sense of propriety.
“Iba-iba yung limits natin sa ganyan e,” she stated, citing cases in Japan where officials would quit their posts.
“Hindi naman ganun dito sa Pilipinas at hindi lang si Dr. Duque yan. Karamihan sa pinapag-resign, sasabihin, ‘Ba’t ako magre-resign, wala naman akong ginagawa at ang nag-appoint sa kin ay hindi naman nagsasabi na mag-resign ako?”
The predecessor also said that Duque should show more decisiveness as head of the Philippine government task force regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Notable politicians like Senator Richard Gordon, Senate President Vicente Sotto III, and Senator Kiko Pangilinan previously suggested for the health secretary to resign from his post.
“When the Department of Health no longer has the capability to be believable or credible, maybe it might be time to go already,” Gordon stated.
“I’m tired of giving comments regarding Sec. Duque because it merely falls into deaf ears,” Sotto said in a message.
“Si Duque ang matagal ng pinagre-resign dahil sa palpak at makupad na kilos ng administrasyong Duterte laban sa COVID pero ‘yung nagkumpirma ng palpak, makupad at hilong talilong na kilos ng gobyerno ang pinag-resign,” Pangilinan also stated.
Local band Ben & Ben’s Paolo Guico also called for the Health secretary’s resignation.
“Duque, please resign. Wag mong isisi ang iyong kapalpakan sa mga taong nagbubuwis-buhay para sa bayan. The country badly needs strong leadership in the DOH,” he tweeted.
Duque, please resign. Wag mong isisi ang iyong kapalpakan sa mga taong nagbubuwis-buhay para sa bayan. The country badly needs strong leadership in the DOH.
After countless chances we've given you, it's crystal clear with the numbers and facts: you have failed us. Please resign.
— Paolo Benjamin (@PaoloBenjamin_) June 5, 2020
The Alliance of Health Workers (AHW) recently said that Duque should be held accountable for his neglect, incompetence, shortcomings, and failure in dealing with the pandemic and are calling for his resignation.
“We have been fighting the COVID-19 pandemic for nearly 5 months now, but the DOH and Duterte administration still has no clear and comprehensive plans on how to combat the deadly virus and the health workers’ situation are getting worse,” AHW national president Robert Mendoza said.
On August 4, the Philippines saw a record-high 6,352 new infections, with total confirmed cases surging to 112,593.