Everybody has been through heartbreak and everybody has his/her own way of dealing with it. But now, science has an explanation for what people go through during this emotional upheaval.
Here are 10 scientific facts that you should know about heartbreak:
10. We feel more pain because the brain’s region which registers physical pain becomes more active.
Functional MRI scans show that people who just went through heartbreak have a higher than normal activity in the brain region which tells you that you’re in pain. (Source)
9. Our brain activity is similar to an addict who is going through withdrawal.
The MRI scans also showed that the brain activity is also similar to people who are going through cocaine addiction withdrawal. (Source)
8. It takes an average of three months to get over an ex.
Since our brain has been wired and is used to being with the person we love, it would take time for us to get over that person. Research showed that it takes at least an average of three months to get over someone who broke our heart. That’s where the three-month rule came from. (Source)
7. We have the ability to move on.
As unimaginable as it may seem at first, a study says we are actually wired to break up and move on. If science says so, it means it is possible.
6. Pain pills like acetaminophen and paracetamol can help ease heartbreak pain.
Although science has proven that analgesics like acetaminophen and paracetamol can reduce not only physical but social pain (brought by rejection), we do not recommend any kind of self-medication to ease your heartbreak pain. Read on to know what other ways can help ease your heartache.