“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings.”– Cassius to Brutus during the first act. f second scene of Shakespeare’s play, Julius Caesar.
This line inspired John Green to create a very wonderful novel – “The Fault in Our Stars” which is about a sixteen-year-old thyroid cancer patient who fell in love with Augustus Waters, an amputee who used to be an outstanding basketball player. If you are an avid reader of The Fault in the Stars, you surely never missed watching its big screen variation.
I was greatly amazed by how well Josh Boone created this movie adaptation. He succeeded in making his viewers cringe on their seats while weeping. He also managed to show some bitter real life situations pretty well. But what made this movie truly remarkable are its jagged yet solitary lines which pierced through the hearts of the moviegoers. There are also these emblematic romantic lines which spiced up the already blazing TFIOS scenes.
Ako: The Fearless Eater Robelle Neo
I have compiled some of The Fault in Our Stars’ most impressive lines in order to save you time looking for such and to give you a better look at Green’s wonderfully made novel.
1. “You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you. All efforts to save me from you will fail.”
2. “Okay, maybe I’m not such a shitty writer. But I can’t pull my ideas together, Van Houten. My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”
3. “I’m a good person but a shitty writer. You’re a shitty person but a good writer. We’d make a good team. I don’t want to ask you for any favors, but if you have time- and from what I saw, you have plenty- I was wondering if you could write a eulogy for Hazel.”
4. “There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There’s .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I’m likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”
5. “Oh, I wouldn’t mind Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.”
6. “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
7. “But I believe in true love, you know? I don’t believe that everybody gets to keep their eyes or not get sick or whatever, but everybody should have true love, and it should last at least as long as your life does.”
8. “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world…but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”
9. “That’s why I like you. Do you realize how rare it is to come across a hot girl who creates an adjectival version of the word pedophile? You are so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are.”
10. “You say you’re not special because the world doesn’t know about you, but that’s an insult to me. I know about you.”
– “”I will not tell you our love story, because—like all real love stories—it will die with us, as it should.”
– “Because you are beautiful. I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence”
But out of all these lines, this one caught my utmost attention. It brought me to back to my senses 360° at a rate of around 999 revolution per minute!
– “You are a side effect…(pause) of an evolutionary process that cares little for individual lives. You are a failed experiment in mutation.”
I mean, come on! Being born with these kinds of ailments does not mean they deserved to be treated like a good-for-nothing piece of mushroom! But if we are going to evaluate what Van Houten said based from a scientific point of view, sorry to say this but he’s indisputably right.
Nevertheless, I have nothing but high admiration for these “battle tested” warriors like Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters.