in

10 Surprising Household Items that Can Make Your Pets Sick

Responsible pet owners see to it that their homes are safe haven for their pets. They see to it that their dwellings are free of harsh chemicals, pest poisons and other dangerous substances to ensure the safety of their pets. But unknown to many, there are certain items inside your home that can unexpectedly pose danger to your pet.

Here are some household items that can make your pet ill.

1. Batteries

When ingested, batteries could cause ulcers in the mouth, esophagus  or stomach of your pets.

2. Tobacco

Nicotine, when consumed, can cause your pets to vomit, collapse, have tremors and even die.

3. Sidewalk salt

Pet owners in temperate countries should be cautious in using sidewalk salt as it could irritate their paws and even cause death when licked.

4. Floss

This material may seem harmless but it could cause intestinal blockages and even strangulation when swallowed. Watch out for other similar items like rubber bands, strings and yarns.

5. Medications

Even if vitamins, pain killers, cold medicines, ointments and creams are formulated for humans, these medications should not be accessible to your pets as they can be toxic.

6. Lily

While lilies can beautify your home, this plant can cause kidney failure in cats as well as heart rhythm issues or even death in both cats and dogs. Pet owners should also keep pets away from other toxic plants like mistletoe, azalea and philodendron.

7. Fabric Softener Sheets

Pets could easily mistaken fabric softener sheets as a fun play toy. Unfortunately, these sheets can cause ulcers in their esophagus, mouth or stomach.

8. Chocolate

You might be tempted to give your pet this sweet treat but it’s actually poisonous for your pooches, kitties and even ferrets.

9. Bread dough

Another food that you would probably assume is a good treat, bread dough can expand in your pet’s stomach and cut off blood supply which could require surgery. Moreover, the yeast content of bread dough produces alcohol that can trigger seizures or respiratory failure.

10. Leftover bones


A lot of pet owners are guilty of tossing leftover bones to their pets particularly dogs. Unfortunately, these could make your dog choke. You may opt to give your pet a teething toy instead.

Written by mmalabanan

Mini is a work-at-home mom from Laguna. Aside from writing, she's passionate about breastfeeding and homeschooling.

Can arguing online affect your mental health?

These Men Celebrated Women’s Day By Breaking Stereotypes