A film about a transgender woman died after winning a beauty pageant. Her last wish was to be presented on her wake in different make-up transformations of her favorite celebrities.
Starring make-up transformation champion Paolo Ballesteros with the direction of Jun Lana, Die Beautiful was chosen as one of this year’s MMFF official entries.
But before we troop to the cinemas on December 25th, here are 10 things you should know about the film Die Beautiful.
1. It was first shown in Japan. Just like Seklusyon, Die Beautiful was first shown abroad at the 29th Tokyo International Film Festival in Japan.
2. It won the Audience Choice Award at the 29th Tokyo International Film Festival in Japan.
3. This is Paolo Ballesteros’ first ever lead role in a movie.
4. The film gave Paolo Ballesteros’ first Best Actor award.
5. “Die Beautiful” was also shown in India and Canada before it got to be screened in the Philippines. Aside from Japan, “Die Beautiful” has been shown also in India for the Kerala International Film Festival and in Canada for the Toronto International Film Festival.
6. The film was funded by Hongkong’s Asia Financing Forum and was produced by The IdeaFirst Company, and Octobertrain Films.
7. This film is Jun Lana’s 2nd MMFF entry as a director following last year’s “Haunted Mansion.”
8. Paolo did 9 make up transformations in the movie. It includes Katy Perry, Beyonce and Angelina Jolie.
9. The story is inspired by Jeniffer Laude’s case.
10. The film’s script came first before casting Paolo.
“Die Beautiful” will be shown on December 25 as part of the 2016 Metro Manila Film Festival.